Food Businesses

Registration of Food Businesses

All businesses selling "potentially hazardous" food, or food that is likely to become unsafe if not kept under temperature control, must be registered with Council. Any food businesses that are selling food which is not potentially hazardous need only notify Council that they are doing so.

To register your food business, print an application form, complete it and return it to Clarence City Council in person or post it to Clarence City Council, PO Box 96, Rosny Park 7018

An Environmental Health Officer will contact you regarding the registration process.

You must have a Certificate of Registration of a Food Business from the Council before you can commence selling potentially hazardous food.

Registration of Food Businesses expires on 30 June each year. Council will send a renewal form to all existing food businesses in Clarence before this date.


Food business construction and renovation

The establishment of a new food business may be subject to Council approval from various Departments including Planning, Building, Plumbing and/or Environmental Health. 

Environmental Health Services are required to assess and approve all plans for new food premises and alterations or extensions of existing food premises. It is important to talk with a Council Environmental Health Officer in the initial stages of any proposal so they can discuss requirements of the relevant legislation with you. This can save time and money at a later stage when the plans are submitted to Council. 

An information package has been compiled to assist existing owners/proprietors, new owners/proprietors, architects and builders to comply with relevant structural, fixture and fit-out requirements in food businesses and to explain the approval process(es) required. Please contact Environmental Health for details and to discuss what is proposed.


Temporary Food Stalls

Anyone selling food that is likely to become unsafe it is not kept under temperature control at a temporary food stall must register with the Council.

To register your temporary food stall, print the application form located on the forms page, complete it and return it to Clarence City Council in person or post it to Clarence City Council, PO Box 96, Rosny Park 7018. The application form must be lodged two (2) weeks before the event.

The form includes information about minimum food handling requirements which you are obliged to follow.

Mobile Food Businesses

A mobile food business is a food business that operates from a mobile structure. The term mobile structure is defined in the Food Act 2003 as:

A vehicle, trailer, cart, tent, stall booth, pontoon, table, barbeque, pizza oven, or other mobile structure, that is not permanently fixed to the whole, or part, of a building, structure or land, in, at or  from which food is, or is intended to be, handled or sold.

Detailed guidelines for the operation of a mobile food business are available from the Department of Health and Human Services website at  Clarence Council also has copies that can be forwarded to you on request.

A mobile food business can choose to apply for state-wide registration. If you want to operate a suitably designed mobile food business at different places and events—you would need a registration with your local Council. This registration will need to be renewed annually.

If you only want to operate an occasional fundraising stall or a food stall at a school fair etc., then a one-off temporary registration will be appropriate.

Contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 6217 9570 or for more information.

Food Handler Training

The Clarence City Council provides regular free food handler training sessions for food businesses in Clarence. Invitations are posted to all food businesses before these workshops. Feel free to contact Council if you would like further details.

Completion of the I'm Alert - online training program is recommended. This training will assist food handlers in developing the required skills and knowledge to ensure food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner.

The program is easy to follow, includes an entertaining presentation as well as interactive quizzes. A training acknowledgement form can be printed upon completion and be kept as a part of your staff records.

Visit online Food Safety Training to conduct the training now.


Department of Health and Human Services

Public and Environmental Health Services at the Department of Health and Human Services helps ensure food made, sold or consumed in Tasmania is safe by regulating and monitoring food safety with local councils and other government departments. It also develops, implements and advises on food safety policy and legislation, and coordinates food incidents such as recalls and outbreaks of foodborne disease.

More information on food safety for consumers, food businesses and auditors, as well as links to other related sites, can be found at


Visit Food Standards Australia New Zealand for nationally recognised examples of templates that you can utilise within your business. The templates include supplier details, food receipt, cooling food, temperature record sheet, cleaning and sanitising procedure and cleaning and sanitising record sheets.

If you have difficulty accessing the templates, please contact Environmental Health for assistance.