On this page

If the land of your proposed works is owned by council or the state government, you will need to obtain the written consent of the council’s general manager or the relevant government minister and include this in your application by using the following forms:

In addition to the planning scheme, there may be council policies that are applicable to a particular application.

Preliminary assessment

If, before lodging a planning application, you would like our assistance to check if you need a permit or to identify any relevant issues, you are encouraged to apply for a free preliminary assessment.

To apply, complete and email the below form to cityplanning@ccc.tas.gov.au.

Request for preliminary planning assessment form

Planning assessment for notifiable works under the Building Act 2016

For building surveyors, council offers a checking service to determine whether development proposals require a planning permit. To apply, complete and email the below form to cityplanning@ccc.tas.gov.au and pay the requisite fee.

Request for planning assessment for notifiable works form

Planning Permit information and guides

Lodging a planning permit application

Show / Hide

Applications for a planning permit should be submitted electronically in PDF format and contain all relevant documents including the application form with each document saved separately. Clause 8 of the Clarence Interim Planning Scheme 2015 lists application requirements for information that must be supplied with an application.

Application for development – Use or subdivision form

You can send us your application via email to cityplanning@ccc.tas.gov.au. Submission by email will ensure the most efficient assessment of your application.

You can also save the files on a CD and provide to us at the Council Offices, 38 Bligh Street, Rosny Park. Please note, we will not accept applications on USB devices.

We will continue to accept applications in physical format up to an A3 size. However, we reserve the right to charge for applications submitted in larger paper sizes in accordance with our 2022 – 2023 Fee Schedule. Where paper applications are submitted, one copy of all of the relevant documents and application forms should be submitted for scanning.

Documents should be labelled clearly with the street address and what the document is, as per the following examples:

  • 123 Council Road – Application Form and Title;
  • 123 Council Road – Plans (this document should include all plans, ie. site plan, elevations, floor plans etc.)
  • 123 Council Road – Soil and Water Management Plan;
  • 123 Council Road – Correspondence;

CDs need to be clearly labelled with the property address and the documentation included.

Plan documents should be ‘flattened’ and not contain multiple document layers.

If you provide an email address on your application form we will correspond with you via email. Providing an email address will be treated as consent, pursuant to the Electronic Transactions Act 2000, to use this address for requests for additional information, our decision to grant or refuse to grant a permit and any other necessary correspondence relating to your application.  If you do not provide an email address we will correspond with you via post.

Electronic lodgement and processing of a planning application information sheet

Supplying further information

Show / Hide

After an application is made, we will undertake an initial assessment and may ask for additional information before either determining the application or advertising it (if required). This information will need to be submitted to progress your application.

You can send us your additional information and application form via email to cityplanning@ccc.tas.gov.au.

Amending a permit

Show / Hide

If you have a permit but would like to make a minor change to it, you can apply for a minor change by completing the form below and emailing it to cityplanning@ccc.tas.gov.au

Application for minor amendment under S56 of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993

Extending a permit

Show / Hide

Once a permit is approved, you have two years to substantially commence the project. However, you can apply via email to cityplanning@ccc.tas.gov.au for an extension of time before it expires, or at least within six months of the day of expiration. This may be done up to two times, so you could have up to six years before the permit ceases.

Application fees

Show / Hide

Once an application has been lodged, we will provide you with a tax invoice showing the planning fees applicable to your application. We prescribes fees for the following applications:

  • Planning applications
  • Amending applications
  • Extending permits
  • Planning scheme amendments
  • Strata titles
  • Subdivision plans for sealing

Our planning fees can be found in our 2022-2023 Fee Schedule. You can also contact one of our planning staff on 03 6217 9550 to determine what fees will apply.

For certain not for profit charities, application fees may be waived or reduced. For more information see our Waiving or Reducing Fees For Planning and Building Permits Policy.

Landscape planning

Show / Hide

For specific requirements for landscape plans associated with Development Application submissions – please read the Landscape Plans for Development Applications (PDF).

Please also see the below documents regarding the process for landscape planning:

Standard Conditions