Animal Complaints

Information to include when making an animal complaint

When contacting council to make a barking complaint you must have the following:

  • The correct address of the offending dog.
  • A completed Barking Diary for a period of two (2) weeks noting the date, time, duration of the barking and any other contributing factors such as weather conditions and any reasons for the barking. Download the diary here
  • You may choose to keep the diary of the dog’s barking habits for a further 2 week period. This will assist in the investigation and provide information on whether the problem continues or improves as a result of any action taken.

We will not investigate anonymous complaints. Your details are kept confidential and are protected by our Privacy Policy. We may need to seek further information depending on the type of complaint being lodged. The information you provide about the problem is allocated to one of our rangers for investigation. Our ranger will investigate the matter and report back with the outcome if you request this.

What type of complaints are investigated?

  • Barking/noise from a dog: A dog making a noise by barking or otherwise which persistently occurs or continues.
  • Dogs at large: A dog must be on lead in a built up area, unless in a designated off-lead area and under the effective control of a person at all times. If it is not, the dog is at large. A dog is also at large if it is on a property without the permission of the resident, this also includes stray dogs.
  • Dog attacks: This includes menacing and harassing behaviour.
  • Unregistered dogs: All dogs over the age of six months must be registered. There are no exemptions from this requirement.
  • Keeping too many dogs: Unless a kennel licence has been issued, only two dogs over the age of six months may be kept on any property. A temporary exemption is available if an additional dog is staying for a short time, the dog owner is not at the property and no payment is being received for minding the additional dog. This does not include foster dogs.
  • Dogs in restricted areas: You cannot take dogs into prohibited areas, or on council beaches outside of the declared time restrictions.
  • Dangerous dogs: Dogs behaving in a menacing or dangerous manner. If a dog has been declared to be a dangerous dog, it should be wearing a distinctive red and yellow reflective collar and should be muzzled and leashed.
  • Other concerning animal behaviour: Nuisances that do not fit into any other category.
  • Dog faeces: Despite having over 100 purpose built dog faeces bins in our city, there are some owners who still do not clean up after their dogs, and some who just leave the used bags behind. If you see someone not clean up after their dog, this can be reported to us. We will issue an infringement if the person is able to be identified.

Animal welfare concerns

We are not authorised under the Tasmanian Animal Welfare Act to act on animal welfare concerns. Contact RSPCA Inspectorate on 1300 139 947. If your concern is an animal cruelty emergency call Tasmania Police on 131 444.