Kangaroo Bay development precinct
Kangaroo Bay is a significant location within the heart of the urban area of the City of Clarence. It has long been regarded by us and the community as an undeveloped opportunity to provide a significant visitor and leisure destination and community focus for the city.
The Kangaroo Bay Urban Design Plan seeks to activate the potential of Kangaroo Bay to be a world-class waterfront destination, and an inclusive place for both residents and visitors that provides economic, social and community benefits.
The Kangaroo Bay Urban Design Plan comprises a number of components addressing recreational, cultural, sporting, commercial and infrastructure needs within the precinct.
The components that make up the Kangaroo Bay development precinct are the:
- Foreshore Promenade which improves and encourages public access along the waterfront
- Parklands that offer a unique play experience and feature the water play park, public BBQ/picnic pavilion and toilets, including disabled access facilities
- Skate Park which is constructed at an international standard competition street course and bowl
- New sporting facility and oval enhancement which is the home of the Clarence Cricket club and a community sporting asset
- Improved infrastructure which features wide pedestrian footpaths, upgraded roads and parking
- Public art which is both permanent and temporary and features Kangooroo by artist Matt Calvert
- Kangaroo Bay commercial development sites, of which there are two:
- The Wharf site – this site is the future home of the waterfront hotel and hospitality training school. Works commenced in July 2018 with the project expected to be completed in October 2020
- The Boulevard site – this site is planned for a mixed of residential and commercial/retail uses. A preferred developer was appointed in May 2018 and it anticipated that a development application for the site will be submitted mid-2019.