Customer Service Charter

Clarence City Council has a Customer Service Charter which expresses our commitment to delivering high quality service to all our customers and what a customer can expect when dealing with us.

The Customer Service Charter includes our principles and values, standards, and a procedure for complaints.

We want to deliver the best service we can and our commitment to you is:

You can expect:

  • We will provide a prompt, friendly, courteous and efficient service
  • We will provide clear and accurate information
  • We will respect, listen and respond to your concerns
  • We will respect your privacy
  • We will keep you informed of the progress of your enquiry

We will:

  • Greet you in a friendly way and identify ourselves
  • Have our customer service counters attended at all times
  • Answer and return telephone calls promptly
  • Respond to your correspondence promptly
  • Be helpful and sensitive to your needs
  • Communicate clearly and in plain language
  • Work with you to solve problems

You can help us by:

  • Treating our staff with respect
  • Respecting the rights of other people
  • Providing accurate and complete information in your dealings with us
  • Respecting the community in which we live
  • Working with us to solve problems

Included in the Customer Service Charter is a set of standards to provide guidance on how we will respond to your enquiry within a specified timeframe. Response times vary and are dependent on the type of enquiry. Standards for these are taken from best practice, legislative timeframes and standards from our Annual Plan.

To find out more about these standards and response times please click on the link below.


We want to recognise and celebrate our staff and the work they do to make Clarence the special place that it is. Please let us know if you think someone has done an outstanding job or a project or event has impressed you.


If you are not satisfied with our service in any respect, or if we have made a mistake, please bring your complaint to us directly so that the matter can be resolved.

All staff are responsible for dealing with complaints relating to their area. Please contact the staff member who is dealing with your request and they will work with you so that the matter can be resolved.

A complaint can be made by phone, in person, in writing or by email. We will try to resolve the complaint as quickly as possible and get back to you by your preferred method of response. Anonymous complaints may only be accepted and dealt with if the matter is considered serious and there is a risk to persons and property.

While most problems can usually be resolved quickly, there are times when a detailed investigation is required. If it will take time, we will keep you informed of the progress of your complaint.

If your complaint is of a serious matter or is a complex one, please put it in writing and address it to the General Manager, who will arrange for the appropriate manager to deal with it.

If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, you can ask for a review of your complaint by the General Manager who will investigate the matter and contact you about it.

You may also seek the advice of an Alderman who may take up the matter on your behalf.

If you are still not satisfied with Council’s resolution to your complaint, there are other external avenues available:

  • The Ombudsman
  • Office of the Anti-Discrimination Commissioner
  • Director, Division of Local Government

While you can refer your complaint directly to these bodies at any time, we strongly encourage you to approach Council to investigate your complaint first.

Any administrative decision where Council has a statutory decision making role may be subject to a further review under the Judicial Review Act 2000.

External Organisations

The following organisations can be contacted if you are not happy with Council’s response to your complaint.

The Ombudsman
Level 6, 86 Collins Street
Phone: 1800 001 170


Office of the Anti-Discrimination Commissioner
Level 1, 54 Victoria Street
Phone: 03 6233 4841 or 1300 305 062


Local Government Division
Department of Premier and Cabinet
Level 5, 15 Murray Street
GPO Box 123, Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6232 7022


How to make a complaint or give a compliment

You can make a complaint or give a compliment by the following:

In person             Council offices at 38 Bligh Street, Rosny Park are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-5.15pm
By phone              03 6217 9500
By email     
In writing             The General Manager, PO Box 96, ROSNY PARK TAS 7018
Aldermen             Contact details can be found on the Councillor page.