Abandoned vehicles look unsightly and can be unsafe.

A vehicle is considered abandoned if it is burnt out, has no number plates, or has been unregistered for longer than 3 months and parked on a council owned or maintained road or public land.

Abandoned vehicles are investigated by Tasmania Police and then removed by the relevant road authority. Please note that state and local government have different legislation, policies and procedures for dealing with abandoned vehicles.

Abandoned vehicles can be reported to Tasmania Police on 131 444 or directly to the relevant authority.

To report an abandoned vehicle on a state road.

Please contact Department of State Growth at www.transport.tas.gov.au/contact us (select state road) or call 1300 139 933. State roads are managed by the Department of State Growth under the Roads and Jetties Act 1935.

The following are state roads in Clarence (you can also check here):

  • East Derwent Highway
  • Tasman Highway
  • Rokeby Road
  • South Arm Highway
  • South Arm Road
  • Flagstaff Gully Link Road (Tasman Highway interchange to Flagstaff Gully Road)
  • Richmond Road
  • Grasstree Hill Road
  • Cambridge Road (Tasman Highway interchange to Richmond Road)
  • Colebrook Road
  • Tee Tree Road
  • Fingerpost Road

To report an abandoned vehicle on a council road or street in Clarence.

Please call or email Clarence City Council.

Clarence City Council investigates abandoned vehicles on council streets in conjunction with Tasmania Police. If the last registered owner cannot be found, and Tasmania Police release the vehicle from the investigation, then council is authorised to remove, impound and dispose of the vehicle under the Local Government (Highways) Act 1982.

Abandoned vehicles are vehicles that are burnt out, vandalised or are a safety issue.

Council has no jurisdiction over enforcement of vehicles that are unregistered or have no registration plates on them.
Please contact Tasmania Police on 131 444 to report these vehicles.

What should you do if your vehicle has a council notice on it?

Advise council as soon as possible of your intentions with the vehicle.

Contact council

Call 03 6217 9500

Email clarence@ccc.tas.gov.au