Dog registrations

Clarence is home to more than 10,000 registered dogs of 190 different breeds. The five most common being Maltese, Staffordshire, Border Collie, Labrador and Jack Russell Terriers.

Keeping your details up to date and registering your dog helps reunite you and your pet if it goes missing and it is also a requirement under the Dog Control Act 2000 –  see also the Dog Management Policy

All dogs more than six months of age must be registered.

Registering is simple, you can use the online form or the form is also available at council offices and can be posted to you on request.

Application for dog registration

If you have not previously registered your dog with Clarence City Council you may now apply to register your dog via our online form.

Register here!

All dog registrations are required to be renewed in July each year. For existing registered dogs, a renewal form will be sent to you.

If you do not receive a form before the end of July, please contact us. Check the details on the form and if changes are required you will need to advise us either via post, phone or email.

You can make a renewal payment online and once payment has been received, your dog is re-registered. Please note that you can be fined if you do not register your dog.

If your details change – let us know via the online form or by contacting us.

What you will need for your dog registration

  • Desexed dog: Certificate of sterilisation from a veterinary surgeon, or other documentation confirming that the dog is desexed, or the provision of a statutory declaration.
  • Tasmanian Canine Association (TCA) Member: Tasmanian Canine Association (TCA) current membership card.
  • Concession: Current Centrelink Health Care Card, Centrelink or Department of Veteran’s Affairs pension card, Department of Veterans Affairs ‘gold card’ endorsed with TPI or War Widow.

Microchipping your dog

Microchipping is compulsory in Tasmania for dogs over the age of six months – this is available through your vet or The Dogs Home. please ensure your dogs microchip details are up-to-date so you can be contacted if needed and also your dogs registration disc is on their collar for quick and easy identification.

If you do not microchip your dog, you will need to obtain an exemption which can be issued by your vet.

Dogs registered as working dogs are also exempted from this requirement.

Desexing your dog

All dog owners are encouraged to desex their dogs and dog registration fess are 70% lower for desexed dogs. Further information on desexing is available through the Australian Veterinary Association, RSPCA, Dogs Homes of Tasmania and the National Desexing Network.

Dog registration fees 2023/24

Standard fee $38.80
Pensioner fee $31.00
Standard fee $129.40
Pensioner fee $103.50
Standard fee $64.70
Concession fee N/A
Standard fee $258.00
Pensioner fee  N/A


Dangerous dog declared pre December 2015

Standard fee $647.00
Pensioner fee  N/A

Dangerous dog declared after December 2015

Standard fee $1294.00
Pensioner fee  N/A

No charge

Frequently asked questions

Why do I need to register my dog?

Show / Hide

Dow owners are required to register their dogs under the Australian Dog Control Act 2000. Under the Act, Council are required to have a Dog Management Policy

If your dog becomes lost, this also helps reunite you with your pet.

The Act specifies penalties for breaches of the Act – most of these fines are issued as an ‘on the spot’ fine however larger penalties may be imposed by the court.

Being a responsible dog owner

Show / Hide
  • Make sure your dog is registered and microchipped; if your dog becomes lost we can work out who the owner is;
  • Keep your dog in your yard and do not let it out unattended;
  • Keep your dog on a lead when in public, unless in an off-lead area where your dog must be kept under effective control at all times;
  • Clean up any mess left in public by your dog;
  • Stop your dog from continually barking;
  • Take your dog to obedience training;
  • Desex your dog if it will not be used for breeding;
  • Look after the health of your dog;
  • Provide your dog with a healthy diet;
  • Ensure your dog has access to cool, clean water at all times;
  • Inform us of the death or transfer of ownership of your dog;
  • Inform us within 14 days if you change your address;
  • Keep no more than two dogs over six months of age (or in the case of working dogs, four) on a premise unless we have approved a kennel licence.

Am I obliged to clean up after my dog?

Show / Hide

Yes, in all circumstances. We provide purpose built dog bins in many areas. If you would like to suggest a new bin location, please contact our rangers. An infringement to the value of one penalty unit may be issued to the owner or person in control of the dog if the mess is not cleaned up.

Does my dog have to be on a lead?

Show / Hide

In certain areas your dog must be on a lead of no more than two metres long, held by a person with the strength and ability to control the dog. These areas include:

  • Roads;
  • Footpaths;
  • Cycleways or pedestrian walkways in residential areas;
  • Some designated exercise areas. These areas will have signs to show that a dog must be on a lead.

In areas where it is not necessary for a dog to be on a lead, the dog must remain under effective control. This means that they must be in close proximity, in sight and immediately responsive to the commands of the person in charge of the dog.

For more information, see Dog Exercise Areas.

How many dogs can I keep on one property? 

Show / Hide

Two dogs can be kept on one property. The Dog Control Act 2000 makes an allowance for four working dogs to be kept on a rural property. A kennel licence is required if more than two dogs or more than four working dogs over the age of six months are to be kept at a property. Keeping too many dogs on your property is an offence under the Dog Control Act 2000 and may see you issued with an on the spot fine.

An application for a kennel licence will only be considered in the following circumstances:

  • The premises are in non-residential styled zoning; and
  • The property has an area equal to or greater than  one hectare.

Our assessment of a kennel licence will include consideration of:

  • Zoning of the land, including any adjacent residential styled zoned properties;
  • Location of residential zoned buildings;
  • Local amenity;
  • Environmental health issues; and
  • Animal welfare.

A kennel licence will not be granted if the premises to which the licence relates is unfit for the purpose, if it is not in the public interest or it is not compatible with the principles of the Code of Responsible Dog Ownership found in our Dog Management Policy.

In the event of extenuating circumstances, a short term exemptions may be issued for a kennel licence to be granted in residential styled zoned premises. This would be at the discretion of the General Manager and apply for a set period only.

Licences are subject to annual renewal and an inspection by one of our rangers who will check that all of the relevant conditions are being met. If the conditions of the licence are not being complied with, the licence may be cancelled and the dogs may need to be re-homed.

To find out if you are eligible to apply for a kennel licence, call us on 03 6217 9600.

What do I do if my dog loses its registration tag?

Show / Hide

A replacement registration tag costs $5.80 and is available from the Council Offices, or by calling us on 03 6217 9600.