Access & Inclusion

We are committed to providing an accessible and inclusive community where people of all ages and abilities are not isolated or excluded from being able to reach their full potential. We aim to respond and provide for infrastructure, services, and facilities for people with disabilities or mobility issues in a coordinated and planned way.

Our guiding principles are:

• All residents, workers, and visitors to Clarence who have a disability or mobility issue have the right of equal access and opportunity to fully participate and contribute to the social, economic and cultural life of the city.
  • It is council’s moral and legal responsibility to ensure equity in the provision and access to facilities and services throughout the city.
  • Council has a responsibility to raise awareness through education and consultation in order to adequately provide access for the whole community and to ensure that barriers to access are addressed appropriately.

Policy and planning

Access Plan

Council’s Access Plan 2014-2018 provides strategic direction for council to meet the needs of its residents and visitors with disabilities.

Disability Access Advisory Committee

Council’s Disability Access Advisory Committee was established in 1995. The aim of the committee is to implement council’s Disability Access Plan and provide advice and input to enhance council’s services and programs for people with disabilities. The committee works with council to prioritise assets and amenities for access upgrades, renewals and new works.

Projects and activities

In implementing the actions of the Access Plan, we have developed a number of programs and activities responding to identified needs of all abilities in the Clarence community.

Access Clarence News

Show / Hide

Access Clarence News is a great way to find out what is happening in access and inclusion, including news, features, services and events.

For story ideas or feedback, email AccessClarence@ccc.tas.gov.au

Support services

Show / Hide

We partner with the Clarence Community Volunteer Service to provide volunteer based service to the frail aged and younger people who live in Clarence with a disability, including mental illness. This service aims to assist clients to stay in their own homes and connect to their local community. Services provided include:

• Befriending
  • Shopping assistance
  • Transport
  • Light gardening
  • Telephone support
  • Social support

For further information, contact the Clarence Community Volunteer Service on 03 6217 9630 or email ccvs@ccc.tas.gov.au 

Accessible transport

Show / Hide

While we are not responsible as a direct provider of transport, we play a role in lobbying for and helping to plan for transport services across the city.  We do provide the service of a community bus in recognition and support of community groups in Clarence who find it difficult to access other forms of transport.  The bus is accessible for one wheelchair. This service would not be able to operate without the generous support of community volunteer drivers.

To find out more about access requirements and eligibility criteria for booking the bus contact us on 03 6217 9500.

Festival of Smiles

Show / Hide

We work in partnership with TasCare Society for Children, Glenorchy, Hobart, and Kingborough councils to celebrate the annual International Day of People with Disabilities on 3 December. The Festival of Smiles is an event which is hosted in a different local government area each year.

Mobility and access map

Show / Hide

The Access and Mobility Map has been produced to help address practical barriers to access. The map includes the areas of Rosny Park, Bellerive and Richmond.

Clarence Mobility Map

Companion Card

Show / Hide

We are an industry affiliate to the Companion Card which is issued to people with a significant, permanent disability, who can demonstrate that they are unable to access most community activities and venues without attendant care support. The card may be used at the Clarence Aquatic Centre and venues in the city where council ticketed events are being held. The cardholder will be issued with a second ticket for their companion at no charge.

More information …

Clarence Access Network Forum

Show / Hide

This is a co-facilitated forum with the Disability Access Advisory Committee, held three to four times per year as an opportunity for service providers and organisations to come together and share information on what is happening across Clarence in access and inclusion. It is also an ideal forum to discuss projects and partnerships.

Inclusion lens/checklist

Show / Hide

We are currently developing a practical checklist as a tool for assisting decision making processes for building, infrastructure and environments that may impact on people with a disability or mobility issue. As part of the checklist development we are working in partnership with a consultant in the creation of an inclusion lens to complement the practical checklist to ensure that:

• Council initiated building and infrastructure projects are inclusive of people with a disability;
  • Opportunities to adopt a universal design approach to projects are adopted rather than just meeting minimum compliance requirements; and
  • Skills and experiences of people with disability are utilised to achieve the best outcomes for the community.

See me, hear me, know me postcards

Show / Hide

Postcards featuring positive and inspiring images of local people have been developed to help raise awareness and appreciation of the people who may not routinely consider the needs of people living with a disability. See me, hear me, know me are the key messages that the postcards communicate. We thank all the community members who participated in this project, along with Mosaic Support Services, Kathy Buttigieg and Clarence High School.

See me, hear me, know me postcards

You can also drop into Council Offices and pick some up, or contact council on 03 6217 9500 to arrange for them to be mailed to you.

Accessible information project

Show / Hide

The Accessible information project has been developed to provide council information and literature in appropriate and accessible ways.

Practical guidelines have been developed to guide council’s communications.

Guidelines for providing accessible information products

Making a Difference video

Show / Hide

Making a Difference is a short film to raise awareness on the important ways that local government makes a difference to the lives of people with a disability. The project is a joint initiative between council and the Tasmanian government and was made with community members from the Disability Access Advisory Committee.