Safe disposal of needles & syringes
Although the risk of contracting diseases through injuring yourself with a discarded needle is extremely low, it is important that appropriate care is taken when handling and disposing of them.
What do I do if I find a discarded needle or syringe?
- If unsure, do not touch the sharp. Contact our Environmental Health team during business hours for advice on 03 6217 9570.
- If found on public land call us for collection between 8.00am – 5.00pm or call Tasmania Police radio room on 131 444 for out of hours.
- If found on private property, it is the responsibility of the owner to dispose of the sharps in the appropriate manner, which may mean contacting a commercial operator at their own expense.
- If bags of garbage that may contain sharps are found on private property do not attempt to sort the garbage from the sharps, contact us or a commercial contractor at your own expense.
* Tell children never to pick up a needle and to tell an adult.