Where stormwater is collected or redirected by the development of land or construction of a drain, open channel or mound, it is required under planning rules and government legislation to be disposed of into a public stormwater drainage system or retained at the location where it was collected. If the stormwater has not been collected or redirected by development it is free to run its natural course.

Frequently asked questions

What is not stormwater?

Show / Hide

Stormwater doesn’t include water from a number of other sources, which can also cause issues for ratepayers and the general public such as:

  1. Potable water: Drinking water provided by TasWater;
  2. Recycled water: Non-potable water provided for farming use by TasWater;
  3. Effluent: Sewerage taken by TasWater and moved through the sewer network using a combination of gravity and pressure pipes. Sewerage usually has an odour and some cloudiness;
  4. Groundwater: Water that soaks through the surface into the ground and tracks along a solid surface such as rock or concrete until it finds an outlet. We are not responsible for groundwater as it can’t be collected by our drainage network;
  5. Surface water/overland flow: Water which naturally flows across the ground due to the natural shape of the land such as water which has not been concentrated by a drain, surface channel, subsoil drain, or pipe. Surface water/overland flow is not regulated by Tasmanian law.

If there has been no rain in the preceding 72 hours it is unlikely to be a stormwater related issue.

Council's role in managing stormwater

Show / Hide

We are responsible for maintaining the public stormwater systems in Clarence, including public stormwater mains, manholes, pits, and open drains. We are also responsible for managing major waterways to ensure their hydraulic function and for regulating private drainage.

Your role in managing stormwater

Show / Hide

Private stormwater infrastructure generally consists of downpipes, gutters, private stormwater pipes, pits and open drains that are located within the property boundary. Private stormwater infrastructure connects into the public system at the property connection point. This is usually (but not always) within the property boundary.

It is your responsibility to maintain your private stormwater infrastructure. If there is a stormwater issue caused by the failure of your own internal plumbing, contact your plumber.

If there is an issue which appears to be caused by a failure of your neighbour’s plumbing, contact us on 03 6217 9500 and request to speak with a plumbing inspector. Please note that it is illegal to direct or discharge concentrated stormwater onto a neighbouring property.

Reporting a stormwater issue

Show / Hide

You can report any stormwater issues to us on 03 6217 9500 during business hours. For after hours and urgent stormwater issues please call our afterhours number on 03 6217 9700.

Useful information to include with your stormwater enquiry:

  • Street address of the issue;
  • Exact location of issue (road, footpath, driveway, eastern side of house, etc.);
  • If any damage to public or private property has occurred;
  • Severity of issue e.g. damp garden, damp garage, water inside habitable spaces in house;
  • Time/s and date/s the issue was noticed and duration of issue if known;
  • Photos or video of the issue; and
  • Any further relevant information available.