South Eastern Regional Sports Centre
The South Eastern Regional Sports Centre (formerly known as Seven Mile Beach Sport and Active Recreation Precinct Master Plan) was developed to investigate the demand for a future regional sporting precinct to service the city.
The regional sporting precinct is proposed to be developed at 74 Surf Road, Seven Mile Beach. This parcel of land was transferred from the State Government to council, for the purpose of recreation.
The South Eastern Regional Sports Centre includes:
- A premier AFL sportsground with irrigation and sport field lighting
- A sports pavilion to accommodate for state/regional level AFL with community meeting space and function room.
- A multi-purpose sports field that can accommodate Cricket, AFL and two rectangular sports field (eg. Soccer, Rugby Union and/or Touch Football.
- A perimeter exercise circuit and supporting trails.
- An extension of the Tangara Trail through the western aspect of the site.
In addition, the master plan provides council with future staging options being:
- A community precinct to the south of the sporting envelope including a multi-use community facility and play space.
- The development of an indoor sports facility to accommodate basketball, netball and gymnastics.
- Construction of an outdoor hard court facility (for tennis and/or netball)
The initial estimated cost to develop the regional sporting precinct is approximately $16 million with the project to be staged over a number of financial years and dependent on financial support from state and commonwealth governments.
In late 2017, we made a submission to Round 2 of the Building Better Regions Funds (Commonwealth Grant) for 50 per cent of the project; however we were unsuccessful on this occasion.