Dog Management


Dog Registrations

All dogs over 6 months of age must be registered. To register your dog, complete and return to Council the below registration form. The form can also be sourced from the Council Offices or posted to you.

Application for dog registration(878 kb)


All dog registrations are required to be renewed in July each year. For existing registered dogs, a renewal form will be sent to you in June. If you do not receive a form, contact Council. Check the details on the form and if changes are required you will need to advise Council either via post, phone or email. You can make a renewal payment online. Once payment has been received, your dog is re-registered. 

You can be fined if you do not register your dog.


Dog Registration Fees

1 January 2018 – June 2018


Standard Fee: Where dog was required to have been registered prior to 1 January 2018

Half Year Fee: Where dog has reached 6 months of age AFTER 1 January 2018

Registration Class

Standard Fee

Pension discount

Standard Fee

Pension discount

Entire dog





Desexed dog





Pure bred dog










Working dog





Guard dog





Dangerous dog  pre December 2015





Dangerous dog  declared after December 2015





Guide/hearing dog

No charge


Evidence required for Registration     

Desexed Dog – Certificate of Sterilisation from a veterinary surgeon, or other documentation confirming that the dog is sterilised, or the provision of a statutory declaration.

Pure Bred Dog - Certificate of registration and pedigree issued by the Tasmanian Canine Association (TCA) or equivalent interstate certification, PLUS current membership card of the TCA.

Working Dog – ABN number relating to a farming business, or by providing a working demonstration to the satisfaction of a City Ranger.  This only applies to breeds recognised as working dogs by the Tasmanian Canine Association,

Greyhound – Registration certificate or Greyhound Litter Registration papers from Greyhounds Australasia.

Pension – Current Centrelink Pension Concession Card OR Veterans Affairs Gold Card. Applies to the first dog only, registration of a second dog will attract the full registration fee.



Lost/found dogs

If our rangers have picked up your dog it will be taken to the Dogs Homes' of Tasmania at 101 Scotts Road, Risdon Vale, phone 6243 5177. If the dog can be identified, the owner will be notified that the dog has been impounded. 

If your dog is taken to the Dogs Home fees and charges may apply prior to your dog being released, including any costs for registration or microchipping of your dog, impounding fees, and the Dogs Home daily maintenance fee. You may also be fined under the Dogs Control Act 2000 for your dog being ‘at large”.

If you have found a lost dog, please contact Council on 6217 9600 for advice.


Ranger services

Our City Rangers regularly patrol all suburban areas and in summer patrol 7 days a week. An after hours service is also available for dog attacks or instances where an animal or person may be in danger, call 6217 9600. 


Exercise your dog

There are a number of dog exercise areas in Clarence.


Dog Management Policy

Under the Dog Control Act 2000, Council is required to have a Dog Management Policy, which covers the following:

Dog Management Policy(644 kb)


Dog owner responsibilities

There are many actions that all dog owners should take to ensure that all people enjoy our streets and recreation areas.


Penalties for breaches of the Dog Control Act

The Dog Control Act 2000 specifies the level of fines that apply for breaches to the Act. Most of these fines are issued as an "on the spot" fine however larger penalties may be imposed by the court. 

Penalties for breaches of the Dog Control Act.


Frequently asked questions about dogs 

1. Am I obliged to clean up after my dog?

Yes, in all circumstances. Council provides purpose built dog bins in many areas. If you would like to suggest a new bin location, please contact our City Rangers. 


2. Does my dog have to be on a lead?

All dogs in road or road-related areas in built-up areas must be on a lead of no more than 2 metres long and held by the hand of a person of sufficient age and strength to control the dog. This generally means that dogs need to be on a lead when on roads, footpaths, cycleways or pedestrian walkways in residential areas.

Dogs also have to be on a lead in some designated exercise areas. These areas will have signs to show that a dog must be on a lead.

In those areas where it is not necessary for a dog to be on a lead it must be retained under effective control. This means that they must be in close proximity, in sight and immediately responsive to the commands of the person in charge of the dog.


3. How do I make a complaint about a barking dog?

Contact Council's City Rangers to lodge an initial complaint. The problem will be investigated and if necessary the dog owners will be required to take steps to control the behaviour of their dog. If the problem is not resolved, a formal complaint process may need to be initiated. This involves lodging a complaint form and paying a fee.


4. How many dogs can I keep on one property? 

Two dogs can be kept on one property. The Dog Control Act 2000 makes an allowance for four working dogs to be kept on a rural property. A kennel licence is required if more than two dogs or more than four working dogs over the age of six months are to be kept at a property.

Applying for a Kennel Licence Info Sheet(235 kb) 


5. What do I do if my dog loses its registration tag?

A replacement registration tag is available from the Council offices, or by calling 6217 9600. A replacement tag will cost $5.


6. What should I do if a dog attack occurs?

If a dog attacks, harasses or menaces a person or other animal contact Council or the police as soon as possible. Dog owners may be fined following an investigation by our City Rangers. 


Clarence City Council
38 Bligh Street (PO Box 96)
Rosny Park, Tasmania 7018
Telephone:(03) 62 17 9500

Page URL:

Page last Reviewed: 2017-11-23T15:22:46