The feasibility studies explored the merits of shared services and amalgamation options for a potential South East Council as well as a Greater Hobart Council.
In agreeing to consult with the community on the Greater Hobart options, Council’s preference is for a strategic alliance between Clarence, Hobart, Glenorchy and Kingborough Councils. The following merger options outlined in the report will also be explained to residents in detail:
- Clarence City Council, Kingborough Council, Glenorchy City Council and the City of Hobart
- Clarence City Council, Glenorchy City Council and City of Hobart
- Glenorchy City Council and City of Hobart.
Council will also seek feedback on the four merger options of the South East Councils Feasibility Study as well as a shared services option. The amalgamation options include:
- Clarence City Council, Sorell Council, Tasman Council and Glamorgan-Spring Bay Council
- Clarence City Council, Sorell Council and Tasman Council
- Sorell Council, Tasman Council and Glamorgan-Spring Bay Council
- Sorell Council and Tasman Council.
In the coming weeks Council will outline a process for consultation. The advantages and disadvantages of all options will be explained in detail.
More information on the Council report from 3 July 2017 can be found at www.ccc.tas.gov.au/agendas&minutes.
Copies of the two Council amalgamation feasibility studies can be found on the home page of Council’s website.