There are a number of areas in Clarence where dogs can be exercised.
Some of these areas are off lead exercise areas, some on lead and some are restricted for parts of the year. There are also a few areas where dogs can't be taken at any time.
These areas were finalised after extensive consultation with the community.
Dog owners are reminded that when a dog is off lead it must be in close proximity, within sight and immediately responsive to an owner's commands.
Dog bins are located in various locations around Clarence. Please use a bin to deposit any dog litter. It is an offence not to clean up after your dog and you may be subject to an on the spot fine.
Off lead exercise areas
- Anzac Park, Lindisfarne
- Charles Hand Park, Rosny
- Clarendon Vale (off Goodwins and Reynolds Roads)
- Mortimer Bay Recreation Area (not including the beach area which is managed by Parks & Wildlife Service)
- Oakdowns Park, Oakdowns
- Richmond Recreation Ground
- Risdon Vale (bounded by Grass Tree Hill Road, Sugarloaf Road and Linden Road)
- Rosny-Montagu Bay Foreshore Reserve (bounded by Conara Road and Rosny Esplanade)
- Shelly Beach, Opossum Bay (from Bangor Road to Icehouse Bluff)
- Simmons Park, Lindisfarne
- Tranmere Foreshore Reserve (Tranmere Point area)
On lead exercise areas
- Bellerive Play Park, Derwent Street Bellerive
- Bicycle Track, including the areas immediately adjacent to the track to a distance of 2 metres
- Chipmans Road Rokeby
- Richmond Riverbanks
- Roches Beach (from Bambra Street, North to 11 Kirra Road)
- South Street Reserve, Bellerive
Public areas where effective control provisions apply
In the following areas dogs may be exercised off a lead provided they are, at all times, in close proximity, within sight and immediately responsive to an owner's commands.
- Bedlam Walls (excluding East Risdon State Reserve)
- Gordons Hill (Council owned portion only) - (Leash restrictions apply in Parks & Wildlife Nature Recreation Area)
- Natone Hill
- Pilchers Hill
- Pipe Clay Lagoon (91 Cremorne Avenue to 100 Pipe Clay Esplanade)
- Regional Parks
- Tangara Horse Trail (Council controlled areas)
- Waverley Flora Park
Prohibited public areas
The following areas are prohibited under the Dog Control Act 2000.
- Any grounds of a school, preschool, kindergarten, cr che or other place for the reception of children without the permission of a person in charge of the area
- Any shopping centre or any shop
- The grounds of a public swimming pool
- Any playing area of a sports ground on which sport is being played
- Any area within 10 metres of a children's playground.
No dogs are allowed, between 10.00am and 6.00pm, 1 December to 1 March, on:
- Bellerive Beach - Also, at all other times from a point adjacent to the amenities block West to Bellerive Bluff (Victoria Esplanade end), dogs must be kept on a lead.
- Cremorne Beach
- Howrah Beach
- Opossum Bay Beach
- Roches Beach (from Bambra Street South to Mays Point Road)
- Seven Mile Beach (Council owned portion - West of Day Use Area 1)
- South Arm Beach
No dogs are allowed at any time on:
- Little Howrah Beach
- Dune areas of exercise beaches and any dune track that runs parallel to the foreshore
No dogs are allowed at any time on:
- Bellerive Boardwalk
- Pipe Clay Lagoon (from 91 Cremorne Avenue - West to 201 Cremorne Avenue)
- Racecourse Flats, Lauderdale
- Richmond Village Green
- Sporting recreation grounds and perimeters.
For information about dog restrictions on Parks & Wildlife Service managed land, phone 6214 8100 during office hours.
For further information concerning Council exercise areas please phone 6245 8603