Richmond Heritage Walk
- Parking: Richmond Bridge, Richmond Gaol, Franklin St carpark or the riverside carpark off Torrens St.
Richmond is a 19th century Georgian village rich in convict history. The walk passes many of Richmond’s most important historic sites. It can be done in either direction. Finish the walk with a picnic on the riverbank.
- Richmond Bridge - is Australia’s oldest stone bridge built by convicts in1823. Nearby St John’s Church is the oldest Catholic Church in Australia.
- Richmond Court House - was built in 1825. It was used as Council Chambers from 1861 until 1993 when Richmond Municipality amalgamated with Clarence City Council.
- Congregational Church - was constructed in 1873 after the original church on a different site was damaged in a storm.
- Oak Lodge - was once the home of Richmond’s noted American-born doctor, William Clark. Now owned by the National Trust, it houses the Coal River Valley Historical Society
- Old School House - was built by convicts in 1834, it is the oldest continuously used public education facility in Australia and is now used as the Richmond Primary School library.
St Lukes Anglican Church - was designed by John Lee Archer and built by convict labour in 1834.Convict James Thompson, who was responsible for the original timberwork inside the building was granted his freedom as a reward for his work.
- Richmond Gaol - was built in 1825. One of its infamous inmates was convict Ikey Solomon, said to be the model for Dickens’ Fagin. The gaol is open daily for inspection. Admission fees apply.