Public Health

Council is responsible for a range of activities in relation to public health. Public health issues are also dealt with by the State Government’s Department of Health and Human Services.

The following information relates to matters which are frequently raised by the public to Council.  Please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers if you require any further details.

Insect pests

Useful information on dealing with ants and other pests can be found on the State Government Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment website.



Urban beekeeping can be an enjoyable hobby for individuals and families, producing a healthy nutritious product for home consumption.

While there is a low risk presented to the human population by managed bees, this activity can cause community concern, especially by neighbours. Beekeepers must take special care so their bees do not become a nuisance to neighbours, or even appear to be a problem. Talk to your neighbours before establishing a hive.

There are no State Government requirements to register as a beekeeper or any Council by-laws in relation to the keeping of bees. However, if the keeping of hives is causing a nuisance, Council can direct you to stop the nuisance being caused, which may require you to remove the hives.

More information can be found on the State Government Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment website.


Rats and Mice

If on Council land, contact Council on 6217 9570.

If on private land, residents must make their own arrangements, either by dealing with the matter themselves or by contacting a pest exterminator.

Rats and mice are attracted by the abundance of food and suitable shelter. Generally they stay outside, but when their food supplies start to run out at the end of summer, and when the first taste of cold wet weather is felt, they seek better shelter and may enter houses.

They are attracted to easy food sources such as fruit trees, vegetable gardens and poultry runs.  Keeping birds such as canaries or budgies can also provide a food source of spilled grain. 

Preventative measures to undertake include not leaving sources of food around such as food wastes, keeping yards tidy, keeping grass mown and minimising areas where they can shelter.

Rats and mice are creatures of habit and will travel close to walls and fences, normally following the same path. The use of commercial wax bait blocks, placed along the rat/mice path, can be effective in controlling vermin

Here is a diagram of a type of outdoor bait station that can be made with a piece of drainpipe about 600mm long and 100mm in diameter. Secure the wax bait in the centre of the pipe with a piece of wire pushed through a hole drilled in the top side of the pipe. Place the pipe close to a sheltered wall or fence. Several bricks or stones can be used to hold the pipe in place.


Rat trap 

CAUTION:  Read and follow the instructions on any chemical or poison container before use.  If you have any doubts, contact a pest control contractor.


Safe disposal of needles & syringes  

Sometimes needles and syringes are discarded improperly rather than exchanged or disposed of in appropriate containers.  This can create concern for those members of the community who find them. While the risk of such diseases through injuring yourself with a discarded needle is extremely low, it is important that extreme care is taken when handling and disposing of them.


What to do if you find a discarded needle and syringe

  1. If unsure, do not touch the sharp. Contact Council's Environmental Health Officers for advice on 6217 9570.
  2. If found on public land call Council for collection between 8.00am – 5.00pm or call Tasmania Police on 6230 2111 for out of hours.
  3. If found on private property, it is the responsibility of the owner to dispose of the sharps in the appropriate manner, which may mean contacting a commercial operator at their own expense.
  4. If bags of garbage are found potentially with sharps in them, do not attempt to sort the garbage from the sharps, contact Council or a commercial contractor at your own expense.

* Tell children never to pick up a needle, but to tell an adult.


For information on appropriately disposing of needles and syringes ... 

For information on what to do if you injure yourself with a discarded needle ... 


Problem areas

If you are regularly finding needles and syringes in a particular area within Clarence, please contact Council’s Environmental Health Services by phone on 6217 9570 or email

Clarence City Council
38 Bligh Street (PO Box 96)
Rosny Park, Tasmania 7018
Telephone:(03) 62 17 9500

Page URL:

Page last Reviewed: 2013-05-10T11:24:29