Noise can be a problem, particularly in urban areas. There are regulations that control various activities which may cause noise nuisances.

Noise which is emitted from residential premises and unreasonably interferes with a person's enjoyment of the environment can result in penalties being imposed.

Noise should not create a nuisance for other people. It should not unreasonably interfere with a person’s enjoyment of their environment with regard to its volume, intensity or duration. You should also consider the time of day and your location. If the noise can be heard in a habitable room of other residential premises, it may be considered to be unreasonable.

If you are going to create noise, you should make sure that you do not breach the requirements of the Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Noise) Regulations 2016 and the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 (EMPCA).


Noise from Building/Construction Sites
A Council permit may be required to carry out building work.  Noise control may be a condition of the permit to protect the general amenity of the area.  However noise from mobile machinery and portable equipment such as power tools is prohibited during the times listed over the page.  Excessive use of power tools would need to be assessed for ‘reasonableness’ by an authorised officer.


Noise from Fixed Equipment (Heat Pumps/Air-Conditioners, Hot water systems, evaporative coolers, pumps, generators, wind turbines etc.)
Noise levels from fixed equipment are controlled under the Regulations. To determine whether noise levels comply with the Regulations, sound level measurements would have to be carried out.  The Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning & Heating Inc has developed an Air Conditioning Residential Best Practice Guideline (Tasmania) for the installation of heat pumps in residential premises.  The installation principles in this guideline may also be useful when installing fixed equipment other than air conditioners/heat pumps to help prevent future noise problems from occurring.

Fixed Equipment, including Heat Pumps - Guidlines for Installation to Prevent Noise Nuisance Info Sheet(136 kb)


Noise from Loud Music (Musical instruments and sound amplifying equipment)
Loud music noise enquiries and complaints after normal Council office hours should be directed to the police.  For noise that is emitted during the day, or is an on-going problem, Council’s Environmental Health Officers may be able to assist. Remember to consider your neighbours.


Prohibited hours from noise from musical instruments and sound amplifying equipment
Monday to Thursday: Before 7.00am and after 10.00pm
Friday: Before 7.00am and after midnight
Saturday: Before 9.00am and after midnight
Sunday and all Statutory Public Holidays  Before 10.00am and after 10.00pm
The use of any equipment must be lawful so that an Environmental Nuisance, as defined by EMPCA, is not caused.


Note: Even though there are hours in which musical instruments and sound amplifying equipment are not prohibited this does not mean that these can be used to such an extent that an environmental nuisance is caused.  In assessing whether the use of these items is an environmental nuisance an authorised officer will take into account the duration (how long the noise has been going for) and intensity (loudness) and frequency (how often it is being used).  If this activity is determined to be excessive, the noise and/or level will be required to be reduced or ceased.

Noise from Animals
If the noise is from a barking dog, you should contact the Council’s City Rangers (phone: 6217 9600).  Noise from other animals (e.g. roosters in residential areas) may be dealt with by Council’s Environmental Health Officers.

Prohibited hours of operation of mobile machinery, forklift truck or portable equipment such as power tools, cement mixers etc.
Monday to Friday: Before 7.00am and after 6.00pm
Saturday: Before 8.00am and after 6.00pm
Sunday and all Statutory Public Holidays  Before 10.00am and after 6.00pm

Prohibited hours of operation for lawn mowers
Monday to Friday: Before 7.00am and after 8.00pm
Saturday: Before 9.00am and after 8.00pm
Sunday and all Statutory Public Holidays  Before 10.00am and after 8.00pm 

Chainsaw Use Info Sheet(186 kb)


Please note: ecreational vehicles (e.g. trail bikes, quad bikes etc.) must not be operated within 500m of domestic premises. 
Motor Vehicles Used for Sport or Recreation Info Sheet(488 kb)


For further information please contact Council’s Environmental Health Services on 6217 9570.

Clarence City Council
38 Bligh Street (PO Box 96)
Rosny Park, Tasmania 7018
Telephone:(03) 62 17 9500

Page URL:

Page last Reviewed: 2013-05-10T11:20:38