Food Safety

Registration of Food Businesses

All businesses selling "potentially hazardous" food, or food that is likely to become unsafe if not kept under temperature control, must be registered with Council. Any food businesses that are selling food which is not potentially hazardous need only notify Council that they are doing so.

To register your food business, print an application form, complete it and return it to Clarence City Council in person or post it to Clarence City Council, PO Box 96, Rosny Park 7018

An Environmental Health Officer will contact you regarding the registration process.

You must have a Certificate of Registration of a Food Business from the Council before you can commence selling potentially hazardous food.

Registration of Food Businesses expires on 30 June each year. Council will send a renewal form to all existing food businesses in Clarence before this date.

Temporary Food Stalls

Anyone selling food that is likely to become unsafe it is not kept under temperature control at a temporary food stall must register with the Council.

To register your temporary food stall, print the application form located on the forms page, complete it and return it to Clarence City Council in person or post it to Clarence City Council, PO Box 96, Rosny Park 7018. The application form must be lodged two (2) weeks before the event.

The form includes information about minimum food handling requirements which you are obliged to follow.

Mobile Food Businesses

A mobile food business is a food business that operates from a mobile structure. The term mobile structure is defined in the Food Act 2003 as:

A vehicle, trailer, cart, tent, stall booth, pontoon, table, barbeque, pizza oven, or other mobile structure, that is not permanently fixed to the whole, or part, of a building, structure or land, in, at or  from which food is, or is intended to be, handled or sold.

Detailed guidelines for the operation of a mobile food business are available from the Department of Health and Human Services website at  Clarence Council also has copies that can be forwarded to you on request.

A mobile food business can choose to apply for state-wide registration. If you want to operate a suitably designed mobile food business at different places and events—you would need a registration with your local Council. This registration will need to be renewed annually.

If you only want to operate an occasional fundraising stall or a food stall at a school fair etc., then a one-off temporary registration will be appropriate.

Contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 6217 4570 for more information.

Food Handler Training

The Clarence City Council provides regular free food handler training sessions for food businesses in Clarence. Invitations are posted to all food businesses before these workshops. Feel free to contact Council if you would like further details.

Completion of the I'm Alert - online training program is recommended.


Department of Health and Human Services

Public and Environmental Health Services at the Department of Health and Human Services helps ensure food made, sold or consumed in Tasmania is safe by regulating and monitoring food safety with local councils and other government departments. It also develops, implements and advises on food safety policy and legislation, and coordinates food incidents such as recalls and outbreaks of foodborne disease.

More information on food safety for consumers, food businesses and auditors, as well as links to other related sites, can be found at


Food News

Information Sheets - Food

The site provides a number of fact sheets aimed at food professionals and community/charitable organisations on their responsibilities and standards.

The latest news about food regulations and standards can be found at

Clarence City Council
38 Bligh Street (PO Box 96)
Rosny Park, Tasmania 7018
Telephone:(03) 62 17 9500

Page URL:

Page last Reviewed: 2012-03-07T14:58:37