NOTE: Bookings for the Annual Clean-Up (formerley known as Dial-a-Garbo) are no longer required
SERVICE OPERATES in November 2014
NO BOOKINGS REQUIRED
This is a chance to put out large items of rubbish which cannot normally be collected through Council’s wheelie bin service.
This Council service is free to residents who receive a Council garbage collection service and is intended for the collection of large items such as:
- Household appliances
- Limited amounts of building material and electrical goods.
Don’t be concerned if only some of your items are collected at one time. There will be a series of different trucks each collecting different items at different times throughout the day.
Collection commences at 6.00 am and all items that comply will be collected by the end of the day.
How to use this service
During November 2014 on your normal greenwaste day, put your items out on the nature strip neatly next to, but at least 1 metre from your wheelie bins.
These items should not be placed out until the evening before your collection day and at latest prior to 6.00 am on your collection day. Collection begins at 6.00 am.
The items should fit within an area 2 metres wide by 2 metres deep and stand no more than a metre high (4m3). The items must be able to be easily lifted onto a truck by two people.
Trade waste (fencers, builders, plumbers)
The amount of building rubble, including soil, sand and bricks, is limited to 0.25 cubic metres. This material must be bagged in bags that weigh no more than 16 kilograms and will not split.
The amount of carpet is limited to 1 cubic metre. Individual pieces should not be too heavy for lifting onto a truck by two people.
All other building material, including timber and guttering, is limited to 0.5 cubic metres.
Refrigerators, freezers and trunks
For child safety reasons, before placing any refrigerator, freezer or trunk with a capacity of 40 litres or more on the nature strip, you must first remove every door and lid or every lock catch and hinge, or otherwise render every door and lid incapable of being fastened. Any cords or hoses should also be removed.
Is it too good to throw away?
Residents that have items they consider may be good enough to reuse are encouraged to first phone your local charity.
The following material will NOT be collected:
- Paint tins will NOT be collected within this service. Leakage and lids popping causes many difficulties during collection. However, empty paint tins with lids off can be collected as part of your fortnightly kerbside recycling collection.
- Broken glass, asbestos or ashes.
- Loose rubble.
- All fencing wire including chicken wire.
- Commercial or business waste.
- Any item longer than 1.5 metres excluding mattresses.
- Items too heavy for easy lifting onto a truck by two people.
- Engine blocks, car batteries, tyres and body parts or any other car parts.
- Chemicals or liquids, including engine oil.
- Gas cylinders.
- Vegetable matter.
- Garden refuse. This can be put out for collection on Council’s green organics collection day every 4 weeks
- Cardboard or other recyclables. These can be put out for recycling collection every 2 weeks in your recycling bin.
If your material does not fit the guidelines
If the material you wish to dispose of falls outside the above guidelines for this service you must make your own disposal arrangements.
Rubbish can be delivered to the Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station.
Don’t place material in bins unless you want the bin taken away. All items placed out will be removed including any containers.
REMEMBER: The total amount of material put out for collection should fit within an area two metres wide by two metres deep and stand no more than one metre high (4m3).