Lauderdale - from convicts and shacks to a modern suburb

A new history interpretation sign located at the Roches Beach end of the canal reveal the history of this growing suburb.

A sign that reveals the history of Lauderdale and its canal has been unveiled by the Mayor at the Frederick Henry Bay end of the Lauderdale Canal.


The title ‘Lauderdale’ was first used to name the farm in the Ralphs Bay area of Ann and Robert Mather, who named their grant ‘Lauderdale Park’ after Mather’s birthplace of Lauder near Berwick-upon-Tweed in Scotland.
Letters held in the University of Tasmania’s Royal Society Collection show the hardships suffered by Ann Mather who was isolated at Lauderdale Park raising her children and managing an unwilling convict workforce. The strain eventually contributed to Ann’s death in 1831.


Following the sale of the farm in 1834 the name ‘Lauderdale Park’ eventually passed out of common usage and the area was known simply as Ralphs Bay. It was not until the late 1960s that the name returned, courtesy of the Nomenclature Board, and people began to identify with the place we know today as Lauderdale.


Lauderdale’s dead end canal, which was engineered originally to complement the Dunalley canal and shorten the travel time between the east coast and Hobart, became a popular location for holiday shacks and from the 1950s, modern housing.


The new sign was a Clarence City Council Cultural History Advisory Committee project with the assistance of Wayne Smith, who is an authority on place names, John Sargent and Charles Hunt of the Bellerive Historical Society who helped to source historic images and Wendy and Bruce Andrew who provided historic images and background information.




Clarence City Council
38 Bligh Street (PO Box 96)
Rosny Park, Tasmania 7018
Telephone:(03) 62 17 9500




Page URL: http://www.ccc.tas.gov.au/page.aspx?c=10225

Page last Reviewed: 2017-11-14T13:27:28